If the sight of your water bill is causing you to have a mild heart attack, something may be up with your London Ontario plumbing. To investigate further, follow these steps:
- Prick up your ears: This may sound overly simplistic, but sometimes dripping sounds can be drowned out by a busy home. A drippy faucet may not seem to waste a significant amount of water, but over the course of a day, that’s thousands of drops. Over a month, you've wasted litres of water. When your home is quiet, stop and listen in order to locate faulty faucets.
- And don't forget to listen to your toilets too! If your toilets are running at unusual intervals or when no one has recently flushed them, you could have some serious plumbing problems. If there is a leak in the toilet, the tank will drain slowly until the water levels have dropped enough for the float valve to open and replenish it. This can waste a lot of water since the flow is continuous.
- Check for leaks: Pipes that contain water under pressure can become corroded and can develop loose fittings. They can also crack because of freezing temperatures resulting in continuous loss of water until repaired. Mildew, mold, darkened surfaces, or puddles of water are signs that a leak has occurred. If the issue is inside the wall cavity, you may have to remove the wall to correct it. If this is the case, it’s best to contact an expert plumbing contractor from BEST.
Worried about freezing pipes? Check out these tips to learn how to prevent them!
- Check under the vanities and sinks for drips: Look for things noted in the previous points. Use a flashlight to follow the path of exposed pipes and look for droplets of water that have accumulated at the lower section of your pipes. You can also run your fingertips along the pipes to feel for moisture. If there’s excess condensation, it's time to bring in a plumbing contractor to investigate.
- Check the water meter: Municipal water systems use meters to measure the amount of water used. Check it by reading the amount displayed, note it, and then shut off all faucets and appliances that consume water. After a few hours, reread your meter to see if an unusually high amount of water was consumed during that period. This would indicate water loss somewhere in your plumbing system.
Drain or Waste Problems in Your London Ontario Plumbing
Signs that your drain is not working properly:
- Water drains out of your sink or tub slowly
- If it’s just one drain that’s slow, the problem is in the sink trap or drain line for that drain. If it’s inaccessible by hand, call BEST and ask their plumbing contractors to investigate.
- Water backs up in the tub, shower, or sink
- Try flushing the drain. Fill the sink with boiling water. If the clog is coming from residue and waste, the hot water may dissolve it enough to restore flow. If not, try using a cleaning product. If that still doesn’t restore flow, it's time to call in the professionals.
- Wet areas in walls or floors in rooms adjacent to walls containing drainpipes.
- Pooling water in your lawn around your home.
- Unusual gurgling or bubbling sounds when water is draining.
Have a plumbing problem? BEST Plumbing & Drainage Contractors are the best at diagnosing and fixing your London Ontario plumbing issues. Contact their team of licensed plumbing contractors today to book your consultation or maintenance service.